Central’s Mayan Mission Trip
- We will leave (early in the morning) on June 7th and return on June 14th.
- The trip might change by one day depending on the cost of Airfare.
- The Trip costs $800.
- $580 of that is for Airfare.
- $210 covers:
- Transportatioin Mexico
- Project Materials.
- Airfare to and from Merida.
- Transportation while in Mexico
- Meals (except for those occasions when we eat out).
- Project Supplies: Concrete Beams, Concrete Blocks, Concrete and other supplies.
- Lodging at a moderate hotel.
- Clothes for working with concrete.
- Clothes for our semi formal church service with the host church.
- Shoes for working on the jobsite (that you don’t mind leaving behind).
- Bathing Suite.
- Bug Spray and Sunscreen.
- A few gifts for children at the work site.
- We will rise early and have breakfast.
- We will then drive to the worksite and work on the Church Building for 3-5 hours.
- We will have lunch with the church family. It is usually a wonderful meal of local cuisine.
- Later in the afternoon, we will go back to the hotel to clean up and rest.
- We will have dinner and if possible, go back to the church to lead a bible school for the children.
- Back to the Hotel for the night.
- Typically we will explore the Mayan ruins that are nearby and/or
- Visit the coast for swimming and seeing the Flamingos, and a nice local seafood dinner.
- We may also visit a local craft market.
Why do we go?
We have been working with our Mayan brothers and sisters in the Presbyterian Church for over 20 years.
We have forged deep relationships and grown in understanding, which has deepened our faith.
We specifically go to help a particular church complete a part of their church building so that they can better minister to their community.
That is just the beginning though. We go to share and learn together with our Mayan friends about what it means to love as Christ loved and commands us to love. To have compassion for one another and enjoy life together.